I met August Jackson about 15 years ago when he was leading the Washington, DC SCIP chapter. Since then he has taken the program lead for SCIP annual conferences, and has been President of SCIP. He is one of the profession’s leading edge users of social media, which he openly shares.
I was honored he interviewed me for a podcast on cooperative intelligence. I shared a lot of examples from my experience in sales, and relationship building to create a competitive intelligence process at Bell Atlantic, now part of Verizon. The first 20 minutes is all about how I got into the field of competitive intelligence since I wanted to win more deals as a sales person.
The cooperative intelligence discussion starts after that, and consumes most of the rest of the podcast—the last 40 minutes. The right people connections and effective communication are what separate best in class competitive intelligence operations from the rest that rely too heavily on digital monitoring in its many forms and are less sensitive as to how people want to be communicated with.
As August was interviewing me I had the feeling that he had done a lot of podcasts! Check out his podcast postings which go back to 2005. I’ve selected some of my favorites, but there are more!
- Competitive Intelligence Advantage with Seena Sharp
- Merrill Brenner Decision-Focused Intelligence
- Ted Galpin on The Problem with Competitive Intelligence
- John Prescott World-Class Competitive Intelligence Framework
- Tom Hawes Aligning Competitive Intelligence with Business Value
- Jan Herring The Future of the Competitive Intelligence Profession
- Competitive Intelligence 2020 with Arik Johnson
- Eric Garland The Future of Competive Intelligence
- Roger Phelps Using LinkedIn for Primary Competitive Intelligence Collection
- Ben Gilad and David Hartmann Strategic Early Warning and Blindspots and Proactive Asymmetric Strategy
August was a Senior Consultant and specialist in competitive market intelligence and analysis at Verizon Business when he produced most of these blogs. August provided technology trend analysis which guided major strategic decisions, and developed profiles and delivered training globally.
As of 2018, August is Senior Director of Market Intelligence at Deltek.
Learn more about competitive intelligence
Win/Loss Analysis book; Amazon link to Win/Loss Analysis book
Join our mailing list and get our cheat sheets on “How to Build a World Class Win/Loss Program.”